Josie’s Honeyed Marmajam – No Sugar Needed Pectin
Count on Josie to combine summer fruit into a fabulous light spread that tastes like expensive gourmet fare. It’s quick and easy to make at home. No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin lets you control the type and/or quantity of sweetener in fruit spreads.
Makes 4 x 250 ml jars (quantity varies based on sweetener)
3 cups (750 ml) crushed strawberries
2 cups (500 ml) finely diced rhubarb
1 cup (250 ml) unsweetened apple or cranberry juice
2 tbsp (30 ml) slivered orange zest
1 pkg (49 g) BERNARDIN® No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin
1 1/4 cups (300 ml) liquid honey or 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) granulated sugar
• Place 4 clean 250 mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
• In a large, deep stainless saucepan, combine strawberries, rhubarb, fruit juice, orange zest and 1/2 tsp (2 ml) butter or margarine to reduce foaming. Gradually add No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin stirring until pectin fully dissolves. Measure honey and set aside.
• Stirring constantly, bring fruit-pectin mixture to a boil over high heat. Add honey and return mixture to a boil. Add honey and return mixture to a boil. Stirring frequently, boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Skim foam.
• Ladle marmajam into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more jam. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealng disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining marmajam.
• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process – boil filled jars – 10 minutes.
• When processing time is complete, turn stove off, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed lids curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.
Notes & Tips:
• If desired, substitute 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener for sugar or honey.
• During the boiling time, reduced-sugar and sugar-free fruit spreads do not bubble up as high as high as full sugar products. The mixture should, however, bubble constantly while being stirred for the full 3 minutes.