Peach and Blackberry Jam
Just a few blackberries combined with economical, abundant peaches produces an exotic fruit spread worthy of gold standard gourmet ratings.
• Makes about 6 x 250 ml jars.
3 cups (750 ml) crushed or finely chopped peaches, about 3 lb (1.4 kg)
2 cups (500 ml) blackberries, about 3/4 lb (350 g), 1 pint
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
1 pkg (57 g) BERNARDIN® Original Fruit Pectin
6 cups (1500 ml) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground ginger
• Place 6 clean 250 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and lids hot until ready to use.
• Blanch, peel, pit and finely chop or crush peaches one layer at a time. Measure 3 cups (750 ml) peaches. Measure sugar; stir in cinnamon and ginger and set aside.
- In a large deep stainless steel saucepan, combine peaches, blackberries and lemon juice, 1/2 tsp (2 ml) butter or margarine to reduce foaming. Gradually add BERNARDIN® Original Pectin, stirring until dissolved. Over high heat, bring mixture to a full rolling boil. Add all of the sugar – spice mixture. Stirring constantly, return mixture to full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off foam, if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more jam. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining jam.
- When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process – boil filled jars – 10 minutes.*
- When processing time is complete, turn stove off, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.