12 cups (3000 ml) prepared peaches, 20-25 medium or 5 to 6 lb (2.3-2.7 kg)
3 inches (7.5 cm) cinnamon stick
2 tsp (10ml) whole cloves
2- 2/3 cups (650 ml) granulated sugar
2 cups (500 ml) peeled & finely chopped apples
1 cup (250 ml) golden raisins
1/2 cup (125 ml) lemon juice
1/4 cup (50 ml) white vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon zest
1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground nutmeg
NEED THIS LIST ON THE GO?
• Place 4 clean 500 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
• Blanch, peel, pit and slice peaches; measure 12 cups (3000 ml). Set aside.
• Tie cinnamon stick and cloves in a square of cheesecloth creating a spice bag.
• Combine peaches, spice bag, sugar, apples, raisins, lemon juice, vinegar, lemon zest and nutmeg in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until thickened (about 60 to 75 minutes). Remove from heat; discard spice bag.
• Ladle hot pie filling into a hot jar to within 1 inch (2.5 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more pie filling. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining pie filling.
• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 15 minutes.
• When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.
Notes & Tips