Step by Step
Home canning is very rewarding and can be a lot of fun if you take a few minutes to prepare.
- Determine the recipe to ensure you have all ingredients and foods, and select the proper "step by step" instructions.
- Review the recipe to ensure you have all the ingredients and tools. For best results, do not substitute.
- Fill home canner with fresh water and heat, it will take longer then you think to come to a boil.
- Visually inspect mason jars for nicks, cracks, uneven rims or sharp edges that may prevent sealing or cause breakage. Wash jars (even if new) and place on a rack in a boiling water canner. Cover jars with water heat water to simmer (180°F/82°C). Keep jars hot until ready to use.
- Set screw caps aside, place SNAP LID® closures in small pot of hot (but not boiling water).
- Set up your "filling station" and have your non-metallic funnel, your ladle, paper towels, tongs and screw bands at the ready. Also, if making spreads, a spoon and bowl for skimming during cooking time is handy.
- Set up your "resting station". Set clean tea towels in a place near the stove where your processed jars can rest, undisturbed, for 24 hours.
- Pre-measure dry ingredients. Some recipes are time sensitive, so having ingredients ready is essential.
- Prepare fesh ingredients as per direction.
- Heat pr ocess ALL home canned foods (freezer spreads excepted), follow Step By Step directions and you'll have success!
Click here to download a detailed step-by-step guide.